Stress has become practically unavoidable in our hectic, twenty-first century lives. Therefore, learning to manage stress is crucial for anyone who would like to live a balanced life. Stress has traditionally been reserved for adults. However, with the advent of technology, among other contributing factors, adolescents and even children can experience huge amounts of stress on a daily basis. Stressors in our lives can be both internal and external.
Examples of internal stressors:
- Your overall health and fitness level
- The ability to effectively deal with your emotions
- The amount and quality of your sleep
- Your ability to take care of yourself
- Your ability to relax
Examples of external stressors:
- Physical environments – job, school, home
- The quality of your relationships with others
- Life’s daily challenges and difficulties
- Exposure to disturbing and negative media
Research has shown that stress is a contributing factor in multiple diseases and disorders, including, depression, anxiety, heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, addiction, migraine headaches, asthma, hypoglycemia, diabetes, and premature aging.
Pathfinders counselors can help you learn skills that are tailored to your personal values and beliefs to help you cope with stress in your life and regain the balance you wish for.
If you would like to download a brochure to share: Stress Management PDF